Located in the bank of the mighty river Brahmaputra, Gurdwara Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Sahib was bulit in memory of the first visit of Sikh Guru Guru Nanak Dev to Dhubri. In 1505 AD Guru Nanak the founder of Sikhism, came to Assam via Dhanpur near Dhaka and stayed with Mahapurush Srimanta Shankardeva (founder of the Mahapuruxiya Dharma in Assam). Both discussed ways and means of saving the people from the clutches of Saktism and Tantrism, for including religious reforms, praying one God, eradication of the curses of black magic and black arts.
Later, IX Sikh Guru, Guru Teg Bahadur came to Dhubri and established this Gurudwara during the 17th century. Guru Teg Bahadur visited this place with Raja Ram Singh of Jaipur. The Gurudwara experiences the arrival of a large number of devotees who come from different parts of the world.
History of Gurdwara Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Sahib, Dhubri :
During the days of mughal emperor Aurangzeb, there was constant battle between the Mughals and the Ahoms. The Mughals initially captured much of the areas of Assam. However, in 1667, the Ahoms recovered the areas including Guwahati, Kamakhya holy shrine and other adjoining areas. In 1669 AD Raja Ram Singh, Mughal general of Amber was deputed by Aurangzeb of Delhi to crush a rebellion by the Ahom king Chakradhwaj Singha.
But it was difficult for such an operation in Assam as Ahoms were far much equipped and capable of fighting. Knowing this, Raja Ram Singh parents who were the followers of Guru Teg Bahadur, advised him to seek protection of the Holy feet and to ask Him to accompany him in his expedition and Raja Ram Singh requested Guru Teg Bahadur to accompany him. Guru Teg Bahadur approved the request; his presence was initially thought to be a morale booster to Ram Singh and his troops. However, later Guru's role was proved to be much more crucial than his mere presence. This operation was actually a punishment for Ram Singh because it was from his custody that Shivaji and his son had escaped, from Aurangzeb's likely execution, a few years earlier.
On the arrival to Kamrup, Guru Teg Bahadur camped in Dhubri while Raja Ram Singh and his army camped at Rangamati fort. The Assamese women magicians with their tantric power began reciting mantras of destruction in their camps towards guru Teg Bahadur. But their magical powers failed to have their effect on him. They then hurled a 26 foot long stone, which came hurling in the air and struck the ground near guru Teg Bahadur. The stone fell with such an impact that half of its length got embedded in the ground. The stone still can be seen in the same position.
When the stone failed to work, they flung a tree to Guru which fell near the place where Guru was sitting. Then Guru Teg Bahadur took out his bow and arrow and aimed at the altar of magic. All the magic and sorcery came to an end. The magicians and women realized their mistake and came to Guru Teg Bahadur and seek his forgiveness. Guru Teg Bahadur then assured the magicians that he would work to bring peace between Raja Ram Singh and the Ahom king. He asked both the rulers to achieve their terms end through peaceful negotiations rather than through fighting. The grateful Ahom king then invited Guruji to the Kamakhya temple, where he was honored with great respect.
The Gurudwara is located in the Dhubri town. It stands on a high platform on the banks of the Brahmaputra. The white structure of Gurudwara provides a beautiful look to it with the simple architecture. The entrance is adorned with a gateway followed by a number of stairs painted red in color. They lead to the open courtyard where from one can enter the sanctum of Darbar Sahib.
In a corner of the courtyard, there is a gallery overlooking the sanctum where the guru Granth Sahib, the holy book of the Sikhs is enshrined. The terrace is dome shaped with elongated drum where a hand written Guru Granth Sahib is placed. There is also an octagonal domed structure towards the left side. The whole structure of the Gurudwara looks like a while building where the lower part is made of white marble and the upper part covered with white plaster.
Devotees from different religion from all over India and abroad assembled in this Gurdwara every year in the month of December to mark the Martydom of Sri Guru Teg Bahadur with due solemnity and ceremony. Sikh devotees called reverence of Sahidee-Guru-Parav.
How To Reach Gurdwara Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Sahib, Dhubri :
By Road : Dhubri is well connected with Guwahati by road. It is near about 265 km from the state capital.
By Rail : Dhubri has it own railway station. Kamakhya Dhubri Passenger/No - 55610 daily runs from Guwahati's Kamakhya Junction to Dhubri at 22:15 (Night 10.15 pm) and reach Dhubri station morning 05:15.
By Air : Dhubri has an airport at Rupshi which is about 15 km away from the town. It was constructed during World War II by the British Govt. Now it is totally closed. The nearest airport is in Guwahati.
To know more Dhubri, Please click here.