Located in Jorhat district of Assam, and a distance of 3 km on the east of Jorhat Town/ Railway Station and 8 km to the east of Jorhat Airport, Jorhat Engineering College is situated bank of the river Bhogdoi, a tributary of the mighty Brahmaputra. Jorhat, a place of scenic beauty was the operational headquarter of the Ahom Kingdom prior to its fall to the British rule. The College came into existence on 7th January, 1959 at H.R.H.P.O.W. Institute of Engineering & Technology, Jorhat with the then Principal of the Institute, Sri H.N. Barua also as the Principal in-charge of Jorhat Engineering College.
The College started functioning with admission of its first batch of students in Civil Engineering, on 10th October, 1960. With a glorious journey, the College currently offers AICTE recongnised B.E. courses in Civil, Electrical, Mechanical, Computer Science & Engineering and Instrumentation Engineering. While the College has been offering three-year post graduate course leading to Master of Computer Application (M.C.A.) since 1987, AICTE approval has been received for offering M.E. course in Mechanical Engineering. Dr. (Mrs) Reeta Sarmah is current principal of the college.
Under Graduate Courses or Departments in Jorhat Engineering College Jorhat :
1) Department of Civil Engineering :
Established : 1960
Strength : 60
Courses offered: B. E.
(i) Concrete/Structural Engineering
(ii) Environmental Engineering Lab
(iii) Engineering Geology
(iv) Geotechnical Engineering
(v) Hydraulic Engineering
(vii) Transportation Engineering
2) Department of Computer Science & Engineering : The department of Computer Science & Engineering was established in the year 1987. The college was the first in north-east to offer BE degree in Computer Science & Engineering. This department has an intake capacity of 30 students.
3) Department of Electrical Engineering : The department of Electrical Engineering was established in the year 1961 next to the year of establishment of the college in 1960 with an initial intake capacity of 30 students which was increased to 60 after few years.
4) Department of Instrumentation Engineering : In the year 1992-1993, the Electrical Engineering department undertakes a challenging step of introducing a degree course in Instrumentation Engineering as per the instructions of the Government of Assam. With the approval of AICTE, the said department was started by bifurcating 20 students from the Electrical Engineering from second year level. Now Instrumentation Engineering department is completely seperate with 20 no. of seats.
5) Department of Mechanical Engineering : The department of Mechanical Engineering was introduced in the college in the year 1961 with an initial intake capacity of 15 students per year. It was subsequently increased to present class size of 60 students. Over the years, the department has earned a place of high repute through its quality teaching and rigorous practical training
Post Graduate Courses or Departments in Jorhat Engineering College Jorhat :
1) Master of Computer Application (M.C.A.) : The department of Master of Computer Application was established in the year 1987. The department offers Master of Computer Application (M.C.A) which is a postgraduate course of three years duration; the intake capacities is 30 students per year.
Other Courses or Departments in Jorhat Engineering College Jorhat :
1) Department of Chemistry : The Department is well- equipped with modern sophisticated Instrumentation facilities such as, Double beam U.V.Visible Spectrophotometer,Atomic aborsoption spectrophotometer, Digital PH-meter,Deioniser,D.O. meter etc.
2) Physics Department : It is a supporting Department established at the onset of the college with Prof Hamidur Rahman as Head of the Department and Prof. Kamaleswar Deka, Dr. Jatin Barua, Prof Bhuban Ch. Bora and Prof Ashish Choudhury as Lecturers, Mr Girish Chandra Rajkhowa was the Demonstrator and Punaram Bora and Dulal Barua were the bearers.
Admission Procedure of Jorhat Engineering College Jorhat :
1) Bachelor of Engineering : The Institute offers a 4-years B. E. program to which admission is made through a Common Entrance Examination conducted on State level.
2) Master in Engineering : Admissions are also made to the 18 months M. E. program in Mechanical Engineering. This is open to candidates with a B.E./B. Tech. degree in Mechanical Engineering.
3) Master of Computer Application :The Institute also offers 3-years Master of Computer Applications (M.C.A.) program to which admission is made through an State level entrance examination.
Hostel and guest houses in Jorhat Engineering College Jorhat :
There are 9 hostels, out of which 8 are boys hostel and 1 girls hostel. Each hostel has got a superintendent and 3 or 4 monitors. Every hostel is equipped with a mess for dining, common room for the borders and rooms for recreational activities. Every hostel has its own library, reading room, gym and entertainment rooms. One lecturer/professor of the college is given responsibility as superintendent of every hostel.
Contact Details :
JORHAT ENGINEERING COLLEGE
Garmur, Jorhat, Assam
Website : www.jecassam.in
How to reach Jorhat Engineering College Jorhat : The second biggest city of Assam , Jorhat is 308 kms away from the state capital Dispur and is well connected by Road ,Rail and Air with other parts of the country. Day and Night services of Super Deluxe Coaches are available to and from Guwahati daily. Train services are also available from Guwahati to the nearest junction Mariani about 15 Kms away from Jorhat.The Jana-Satabdi express runs between Guwahati and Jorhat daily. The city is connected by flights with major cities of the country like Kolkata and Delhi. Jorhat Engineering College is almost 4 kms away from the Jorhat town. Suburban bus services, apart from rickshaw and auto rickshaw, are also available from the bus and railway Station . The college is at a 20 minutes drive from the airport. The climate of Jorhat is very pleasant throughout the year. Temperature falls to around 10 degree centigrade during December- January. Like other North-Eastern cities, Jorhat also experiences a heavy rainfall during the months from June to August.