Kamrup district is an administrative district in the state of Assam in India, named after Kamarupa, a name by which Assam was previously known in ancient times. The district, however, is now a small western part of Assam, with a distinctive native Kamrupi culture and dialect (both known as Kamrupi). The distinctive dialect etc. are, however, shared with the present administrative districts of Nalbari and Barpeta, these districts being part of an un-divided Kamrup before the 1980s. Assam has been referred to as Kamrup in many of the ancient Indian literature. It was also known as Pragjyotishpur due to the astrology (Jyotish Shashtra) practices that prevailed in this part of the country during that time. However, "Kamrup" became a more predominant name in the later part of the history. Today Kamrup is an administrative district of Assam with its headquarters located at Guwahati city. The greater parts of the district consist of wide plains, through the lower portion of which the river Brahmaputra flows a steady course from east to west. The District is bounded by Udalguri and Baska District in the north, Meghalaya state in the south, Darrang District and Kamrup Metropolitan District in the east and Goalpara District and Nalbari District in the west. The Present Assam was referred to as Kamrup in many of the ancient Indian literature. It was also known as Pragjyotishpur due to the astrology (Jyotish Shashtra) practices that prevailed in this part of the country during that time. However, "Kamrup" became a more predominant name in the later part of the history.
After the census of 2001 the district has been divided between the Kamrup Metropolitan district and Kamrup District, the former comprising the metropolitan city of Guwahati and the latter the rest of the district. Both of the district headquarters are located (rather side by side) in the heart of the city of Guwahati. This pair of districts occupies a total area of 4345 sq.km and has a population of 15,17,202(as of 2011). The metropolitan district population is somewhere around a million.
1) Madan Kamdev Temple : Berely 40 Kms. away from Guwahati, the gateway of North-East and 3 Kms. from Baihata Chariali on National Highway 52, Madan Kamdev is an enigma, a mystery, a marvel which speaks about the ancient Kamrup. Scattered all around the Dewangiri hillock with an idyllic back drop of green hills and flowing rivulet, are griffins, nymphs, dancing fairies, gods and goddesses in cosmic evoluations, walls, pillars, lintels and door frams decorated with flowers, animals, Kalpa-vriksha (the tree of fulfillment), six sided Bhairava, four headed Shiva, Demons, Serpants and men, women and animals in every conceivable erotic postures, all in ruins-ruin of gigantic proportion - that is Madan Kamdev.
2) Saraighat war Memorial Park : This Park is at Agyathuri on the northern bank of river Brahmaputra .The Park has been constructed for preservation and promotion of the memories associated with the Battle of Saraighat which took place in the year 1671 A.D. between the Ahoms and Mughals under the command of the great Ahom "Senapati" Lachit Barphukan .
3) Hayagriva-Madhab Temple : Hayagriva Madhava Mandir is situated on the Monikut hill near Hajo of Kamrup district .It is known that the temple was constructed by the King Raghu deva Narayan in 1583. According to some other historians. King of Pala dynasty constructed it in 6th century. It is a stone temple and it enshrines an image of Hayagriva Madhav. The rows of elephants are seen on the body of the temple and they are fine specimens of Assamese art. There is a big pond known as Madhab Pukhuri near the temple.
4) Poa Macca : Poa Macca is a place of pilgrimage for the Muslims and is located at Hajo, a small town near Guwahati. It is the tomb of seer Giasuddin Auliya. It is believed that by offering prayers here the faithfuls gain one fourth of the spiritual enlightenment of what could be gained at Mecca. Hence the name - "poa" meaning one-fourth.
5) Daul Govinda Mandir : Located at the north bank of the mighty river Brahmaputra. It is a place of historic importance. The temple and shrines, copper plates and rock inscription are scattered to suggest a glorious heritage in and around north Guwahati. The holy Daul Govinda Mandir is perfectly placed at the beautiful foot hills of Chandrabharati hill at Rajaduar, a place of the east of North Guwahati and this natural ambience heightens the sanctity of this place of worship.
6) Sidheswar Devalaya : It is situated in Sualkuchi of Kamrup district. It is an ancient Siva temple, which was built during the time of Ahom King Siva Singha's rule. A few images of archeological interest exist at the site.
7) Sualkuchi : Sualkuchi, a village in the Kamrup district has been developed over the years as a major centre for commercial production of these indigenous fabrics especially the Pat and Muga silk. Sualkuchi is famous as the "Manchester of Assam" and was established by Momai Tamuli Barbarua, a great administrator of the Ahom kingdom during the reign of Swargadeo Pratap Singha (1603-1641). Shri Barbarua set up this weaver’s village by shifting a large number of master-weavers from all over the region to that village. This patronage led to the advancement and development of sericulture in Assam. This picturesque village on the banks of the river Brahmaputra is about 32 kms from Guwahati. Sualkuchi has a population of nearly 50,000 people, most of who are engaged in weaving magic on their looms. This village has an estimated 25,000 handlooms and produces nearly six million metres of white and golden Assam silk annually.
The economy of Kamrup is both industry based and agrarian. The total population of the district is 25.22 lakh. The no of Cultivators in the district is 207262 of which, the no of small and marginal farmers is 150921. The cropping Intensity in the district is 140 % and net irrigated area in the district is 58239 ha. The most serious problem affecting the rural economy of the district is floods that wreak havoc every year in the lives of a sizable number of population by ravaging their crops. Forecasting of floods is relatively easier as compared to other natural calamities. The crux of the problem lies in recurrence of floods every year and not with methodology for forecasting.
1) North Gauhati College : North Gauhati College , one of the oldest institution of higher learning is located at North Guwahati . The college was inaugurated by Devakanta Baruah, the then Education Minister of Assam in the premises of the Auni Ati Kamaldev Institution on the 4th September, 1962 as a co-educational institute of collegiate education and the foundation stone at the permanent site was laid by him on the 24th November, 1963. At the initial stage, the college started functioning from the Auni Ati Kamaldev Institution. On the 9th December, 1966 the whole functions of the college were shifted to its own building at its present site. Phone : 0361-2690037
2) Rangia College : Rangia College is the premier institution of higher education on the north bank of the Brahmaputra in the district of Kamrup. Founded on August 5, 1963, the college has rendered pioneering services to the community by catering to the needs of the vast and extensive area inhabited predominantly by socially and economically backward segments of the population. Phone : 03621-240484
3) Goreswar College : Established in 29th August, 1974
1) Central Bank Of India, BAMUNIGAON CAMP, Phone: (03623) 282753
2) Central Bank Of India, LOKHRA CHARILLI, Phone: (0361) 2236592
3) Central Bank Of India, BAPUJI PATH, SUALKUCHI, Phone : (0361) 2830170
4) Central Bank Of India, Phone: (03623) 282535
5) State Bank Of India (SBI), NAPARA ROAD, Phone : 0361-2830174
6) Allahabad Bank, GAMERIMURA (BOKO), Phone: 03623-282666
7) Central Bank Of India, OJHAS COMMERCIAL COMPLEX, A.T. ROAD, ADABARI, Phone: (0361) 2571050